Wednesday, September 30, 2009

On Dowsing and the importance of a double blind study

In this video, rationalist Richard Dawkins checks out a study in progress to determine whether or not there is anything substantial about the practice of dowsing for water.

The study is double-blind (so neither the participants nor the observers know beforehand where the water is stored). There are 6 containers, and the participants are supposed to identify which container holds the water and which container holds the sand. They do this 6 times in order to determine if any successes were statistically significant.

What did they find? I hope I've piqued your curiosity enough to watch the video :)


What I find interesting about the video is after the participants are told the results, we get a little insight into human nature and how readily our left hemisphere makes excuses for things that lie outside of our current belief paradigm. It was quite fascinating to think about.

No comments: