Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Film, "Creation" (2009)

Wow. Sometimes I feel like I live in the land of the Free and the home of the Brave . . .

But other times, and in other ways, I feel like I am metaphorically living in Medieval Europe with the Spanish Inquisition and the Papal State Authority determining what they want me to hear and read--and what they don't.

There is a new movie coming out on the life of Charles Darwin and his theory of Evolution, and although it will open worldwide within the next couple of weeks, it appears that no U.S. labels have picked it up due to fears of pressure by the far Right. I don't know about you, but that totally creeps me out--the hair on the back of my neck is standing straight up. Regardless of how separate person's views and opinions may differ, the very foundation of a FREE society is that we have the right to differ in those opinions.

Below is a trailer for the film, in case you haven't heard about it yet:

It looks like a well done and beautifully rendered film. It appears to encompass the turmol which surrounded Darwin's life as he struggled to piece scientific evidence together with his own world view and theological beliefs. It appears to deal not only with the crises his writings brought upon not himself and his family, but also with the inspiring manner in which they confronted their circumstances. We (as Americans) shouldn't be trying to fight against something that can open our lives to a little more light than we had before, but rather embrace the opportunity to learn (or not) from it.

How does Joseph Smith's admonition go again? "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report, or praisworthy, we seek after these things."

Update 9/16/09:
I don't want to bash on the far right. Below is a link to a news article blog containing an overview of an interview of the film's producer talking about reasons the film is not appearing in the U.S., so you can see why I would insinuate such a thing.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I wanted to see that one. . . I bummed. I hope it comes eventually.

Brandi said...

Wow. That does look interesting. There is another movie that Tim and I were excited to see but looks like it wont be coming to the U.S. It's called "The Picture of Dorian Gray" inspired by Oscar Wilde's book.

Toni Dee! said...

I think we need to back up on the blaming - after all, if the far right really had much sway with Hollywood then a lot of the movies made in the last few years would have been banned here. As a member of the far right I see nothing wrong with a film about Darwin, his thoughts, life and theories. Just because they make a movie about it doesn't make it true. Let's stop looking for things to blame on the "far right" . . . we're people too you know, time to stop trying to burn us at the stake.

Toni Dee! said...

Ok - that sounded a little harsh. Sorry, I've just been feeling a lot of persecution lately because I'm a part of the "far right". Add Mormon to the list of white, middle-class, homemaker, republican, gun owner, capitalist, parent of more than 2 and heterosexual and I'm feeling like part of a very unpopular targeted group right now. I only wish we were as influential as everyone seems to think we are and I might have some confidence in the future of our country. I'm just sayin'.

p.s. the movie looks both interesting and applicable, esp. the struggle of having family members with significant differences of opinion. We would probably watch it (2 of my favorite actors).

J Wilson said...

Toni, I'm sorry you got from the post that I was bashing on the far right. I was only trying to point out that pressure from the far right (or fear of that pressure) is a large factor in this unfortunate affair.

Having said that, as always, I welcome your comments. It's good that everyone has their own opinions and (still) has the freedom and the vehicles to express them. It is awesome when people of differing opinions can get together and discuss things: That's where true human growth happens. As long as we stay in our comfort zones, we're doomed to experience no more of the world than we already know. It is only when we leave those zones of comfort that we can experience the adventure of true learning and growth.

And your comment on persecution was as well-said as it was interesting. Nobody within the Mormon culture would argue that there is no bias against them in the world of religion or politics. Very few of the republicans I have ever met would say that there is no bias against them in various affairs. I know that as one who supports the right to bear arms that it is easy to feel a strong political and social counterweight against us. The most intriguing thing about these statements to me is that almost every other group also feels their own circumstances are "persecuted" to some extent or other. The heterosexuals feel persecuted against? I can only imagine how those on the other side feel! The "Whites" feel persecuted? It is almost inconceivable for us to imagine the pressure that other groups in this country feel against them--all because of a thing as trivial as a difference in quantities of Melanin in our skin! I'm not trying to chop up what you said or to discount it as non sincere or disingenuous--I'm only trying to point out that you are not alone in feeling persecuted as you feel. Along with you is most likely every single person on "the other side".

I'm glad you think the movie looks interesting and applicable, as well. When it comes right down to it, this is a discussion on nothing more than a country's right to be exposed to a story that might put us out of our comfort zone, a story that just might help us to see things under a little more light (even if it's to help us solidify the way we already believe).

As C.S. Lewis said, "If ours is an examined faith, we should be unafraid to doubt. If doubt is eventually justified, we were believing what clearly was not worth believing. But if doubt is answered, our faith has grown stronger."

Moores said...

It sounds like an interesting show!