What is luck? Is it an illusion that humans affix to our circumstances in an attempt to derive some sort of meaning out of existence? Is it some sort of Karma/blesing--what goes around comes around (if we do good, then good will come to us), and if so, then why do bank robbers and drunk drivers seem to have their fair share of it?
Or is it an example of stochasticity: The likelyhood that a certain "good luck" event will happen to a specific person is incredibly low, but out of all of the people in the world, that one "good luck" event will statistically happen to someone, and so when it does, we simply grant that person the attribute of having some sort of "good luck"?
Regardless of your opinions on luck, I think you'll find this video interesting (lame music, but still worth watching--if it bugs you, you can mute the player :)
2 comments:
Hey Jer Bear!
This post reminds me of a cool short short play written by Arthur Miller: "The Man Who Had All the Luck." If you get a chance, you may be interested in reading it. When I finished it, I thought of similar questions and it helped shed light into how others view "luck" and what, really, being a "lucky" person entails. Let me know if you read it and we can muse together. (P.S. Less than three months and I can see you, Michelle, and Ava!)
Thanks for the suggestion--I'll have to check it out. I did a little reading on the plot summary, and it seems interesting. Hopefully I can get my hands on it before Christmas, and we can have one of those deep conversations we enjoy!
Post a Comment