Monday, November 3, 2008

Animal in an unusual environment Assignment



This is Jer:
This is my latest assignment in Digital Illustration. We were supposed to take an animal and put them into an environment that would be unusual for them to be in. Specifically, we were supposed to Anthropomorphize our animal as much as we could without losing the essence of the animal.

Maybe on a future post, I might post some of the research I did to come up with this idea, but needless to say it was quite a bit of work (researching Rhinos, researching warriors, researching landscapes, clouds, weapons, fields, researching Rhino anatomy, trying to take apart the muscles and bones and put them together in such a way that they could plausibly stand on 2 feet, researching composition, color palette, etc.)

I just finished this, and as for now, I'm pleased with the result. Ben (my illustration teacher) says that when you're working on art, it's like you become accustomed to your own smell (sometimes stink!), so it's harder to recognize the problems until you've had a break and are able to come back with a fresh look, so we'll see what I think in the morning.

Have a good day, everyone :)

5 comments:

Toni Dee! said...

Jer,
I love your art, can't wait to see more! We are looking forward to seeing you guys during the Christmas Holiday.
Tyler

Brandi said...

Jer, that is incredible! I think this is one of my favorites. I love, love, love the detail in the ground. And the whole picture is perfect. Rhino, sledge hammer (or whatever), mountains, fire in the background. Awesome.

Melanie said...

I think that this is one of my favorites that you have posted. Such a cool concept for the basis of the painting! Nicely done!!

Oveson's said...

very cool!!! Marisa likes the rino alot. She thinks he is cool!!! that is her quote!! :D

Rob said...

I saw this in the hall before I saw it on the blog.. I really love it and I felt it was by far the best in the class. I think that your composition turned out well too. I know you were struggling with the flag and other stuff off to the right but I think you pulled it off nicely. I do want to talk about why you didn't end up putting the flag in though.

great job.

--robby j