
This is Jer:
I've been doing a lot of thinking about nations and principles and the essence of freedom and liberty lately, and I guess it's convenient that my wave of thoughts have coincided with the presidential elections (or perhaps it is because of the elections that I felt more pressure to think about these topics than I had previously, or would ordinarily).
Obama was elected president.
And though I didn't and don't believe the same way he believes about a great many topics, for many many reasons, I can't help but feel optimistic about our future as a people, as a nation, and as a human race. For the first time in our American history, a candidate was elected president who did not fit the stereotypical mold of middle aged white male. But not all are happy about it.
There is a lot of bitterness in the air today, and I can't help but wonder what it felt like before the Civil War, when Abraham Lincoln had the monumental task to unite a nation. We are similarly polarized, and this polarization will only worsen if we don't make a concerted effort to change our attitudes and those around us.
As Obama said last night, I am proud to be a member of what has been, what is, and what will always be, the United States of America. E Pluribus Unim, meaning "out of one, many". How much more insightful could our founding fathers have been? Sometimes we think they were so homogenous that their ideas were all similar. Nothing could be farther from the truth--differing viewpoints abounded. But they were wise enough to put those differences behind them in the interest of a greater interest, that of a rising Nation.
Our nation has taken a few blows. I don't know if we've been forced to our knees just yet, but if so, hopefully we can use this time to band together and rise triumphant, one nation under God, with Liberty and Justice for all.
I don't presume that the future will be full of brightness. I know that we have many problems ahead of us. But I have hope. I have hope because the alternative is too dark. And since the decision has been made, I will stand behind it and do what I can to change things. Criticism is easy and cheap. Work is hard but its potential knows no bounds.
I've been doing a lot of thinking about nations and principles and the essence of freedom and liberty lately, and I guess it's convenient that my wave of thoughts have coincided with the presidential elections (or perhaps it is because of the elections that I felt more pressure to think about these topics than I had previously, or would ordinarily).
Obama was elected president.
And though I didn't and don't believe the same way he believes about a great many topics, for many many reasons, I can't help but feel optimistic about our future as a people, as a nation, and as a human race. For the first time in our American history, a candidate was elected president who did not fit the stereotypical mold of middle aged white male. But not all are happy about it.
There is a lot of bitterness in the air today, and I can't help but wonder what it felt like before the Civil War, when Abraham Lincoln had the monumental task to unite a nation. We are similarly polarized, and this polarization will only worsen if we don't make a concerted effort to change our attitudes and those around us.
As Obama said last night, I am proud to be a member of what has been, what is, and what will always be, the United States of America. E Pluribus Unim, meaning "out of one, many". How much more insightful could our founding fathers have been? Sometimes we think they were so homogenous that their ideas were all similar. Nothing could be farther from the truth--differing viewpoints abounded. But they were wise enough to put those differences behind them in the interest of a greater interest, that of a rising Nation.
Our nation has taken a few blows. I don't know if we've been forced to our knees just yet, but if so, hopefully we can use this time to band together and rise triumphant, one nation under God, with Liberty and Justice for all.
I don't presume that the future will be full of brightness. I know that we have many problems ahead of us. But I have hope. I have hope because the alternative is too dark. And since the decision has been made, I will stand behind it and do what I can to change things. Criticism is easy and cheap. Work is hard but its potential knows no bounds.
6 comments:
Jer,
Thanks for sharing. I, too, feel quite optimistic, and I think in many ways our future is bright. I was just really impressed by Obama's speech last night. I think that we have a lot to look forward to, but like you, feel that it will take a concerted effort to care and to realign our attitudes and priorities. (Thank the dear heaven that Proposition 8 was voted in!!!)
well put!!
Jer,
Thanks for your thoughtful insights. I definitely needed to hear this today.
There is a new pulse in the air, I've noticed. I'm sure it's everywhere, but here in Philadelphia I am around a whole new crowd and they're electric. There seems to be hope for people of every color.
I will join with you in looking toward the future with hope because, indeed, the alternative is far too dark. This is one nation under God, whether people know it or not.
John taught a lesson last Sunday on the importance of the election, and we talked a lot about the idea that once a canidate has been selected you support and pray for him as if he were your choice. I honestly had a hard time voting for anyone this election but now that we've made the decision, Obama needs all our prayers to try to heal our country. I still wait for the day when color won't be an issue rather character, but maybe this was a step in the right direction. The racism at the Jr High I work at is ridiculous, when will we learn? How is the new generation getting sucked into old habbits?
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW BABY!!! We are thrilled for you and praying for Michelle's quick recovery!
Jer, thanks for your thoughts. You are an amazing man and I'm so proud of you. You have always been a deep thinker, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I also want to say, Congratulations Dad!!! Ava Belle is beautiful and you and Michelle are great parents. I loved watching you get Ava ready to go home. . . what a tender mercy for me to witness that special time. You will be awesome and you have every reason to hope for a bright future!! mom
Post a Comment