Thursday, March 11, 2010

How in the World? Volume 4: Talking Skeletons

As much as I enjoyed He-man as a kid, sorry, Skeletor, but this one's looking at you (mostly):

Speech is actually the cumulation of sounds we hear when the tongue, the teeth, the throat, and the lips, along with the vocal chords, engage in a fascinating dance which vibrates air molecules just so to create certain recognizable sounds. Those sounds are strung together and recognized by others as words, and those words string together to create sentences and paragraphs, the whole spectrum of vocal communication.

But a skeleton only has teeth. They don't have a tongue to create "T" , "L" , "D" , "R" or any other of the myriad of sounds created with the tongue.

A skeleton doesn't have lips. They can't create "M", "B", "P", or other sounds created by them.

A skeleton doesn't have a uvula or throat per se, with which to create "K", "G", or other sounds.

And last but certainly not least, a skeleton doesn't have vocal chords with which to initiate the sounds in the first place!

I'm sorry, but this one is logically busted.

(P.S. I'd love to hear some feedback from the best speech language pathologist I know on this one, Brandi :)

3 comments:

Melanie said...

hey, I'd be freakin' if I saw a skeleton walking...let alone talking! hehe

Niki said...

Umm...I thought I was reading from Jeremy not his sister. Jeremy would never dis a He Man character. The world has gone upside down.

J Wilson said...

Hey--even role models can't be held as infallible ;) (Not that skeletor qualifies as a role model, being a Nemesis and all--but you get the general idea)