Monday, March 1, 2010

How in the world? Volume 1: Ghosts


Okay, I admit it. When I was younger, I did occasionally get scared when I thought about going downstairs alone in the dark. Maybe it was the episodes of "unsolved Mysteries" that I would try and sneak a viewing experience of every chance I got. Maybe it was just my developing brain, so accustomed to things I couldn't explain, which made it so hard to think rationally at a time like that (when the dark was involved).

But whatever my reasons (or lack thereof) as a child, I am perplexed to think that some people continue to believe in ghosts well into adulthood, despite any evidence for it. I mean, think through it logically:

-Ghosts are often described as being able to pass through walls. If that's the case, then why don't they pass right through the floor? What is so different about the floor that keeps ghosts from passing right through to the center of the earth?

-If your answer to that is, "they can float", my next question is: How? Do they expend some sort of energy putting out a field that enables them to "hover"? If so, there must be some sort of energy input into the system (Newton's Second Law-The conservation of matter). So how does energy "metabolize" from the environment to somehow enabling them to hover?

-If your answer to the first question is, "gravity doesn't work on them", my next question is: Then why don't they rush off away from the earth with startling speed? Though not intuitive to most people, the earth is hurtling through the solar system, and the solar system is hurtling through the Milky Way, and the Milky Way is hurtling through the Universe at mind boggling speeds. The only thing keeping us from flying off the earth is its gravity which pulls everything from humans and buildings to even the air we breathe, allowing us a relatively thin layer of atmosphere that would be gone in an instant if gravity somehow "stopped" working.

-Why are ghosts so often depicted as wearing clothes? How in the world does a person's wardrobe "adhere" to whatever it is that supposedly comprises a "ghost" and consequently follow them around through walls, through vanishing and reappearing, etc.? Not the original clothes, you say? Then how is there an "image" of the clothing supposedly projected for people to witness it? Is it some sort of hologram? Where did the energy come from that made the hologram? Why would such a complicated process be initiated in the first place?

-In Pseudo-science shows that claim to try and examine the paranormal, please someone try to explain how their "scientific instruments" are able to pick up "electromagnetic" some such nonesense or other from "ghosts" and detect their presence that way? If ghosts are really supposed to be the "life essence" of people who were once alive, then theoretically wouldn't that "essence" which is already inside a living person cause those instruments to go off? And why do they think they can get accurate readings when they're walking around holding them in their hands, when they are specifically designed and built to be calibrated to a stationary position (via tripod or other stationary device)?

-And Finally, ghosts are supposedly reported to have some sense of consciousness. Where does that consciousness supposedly come from? Once that person initially dies, and their brain activity gradually slows down and the neurons and synapses eventually decompose into dust, how are their "idiosyncrasies", their attributes, their memories, their emotions, etc. supposed to manifest themselves? Without a temporal lobe, or a hippo-campus, or a cortical column, how are these "ghosts" supposedly "communicating" in the first place?

Now, I am not denying the fact that sometimes things happen which we can't explain at the moment. But jumping to a conclusion that it must have been a ghost is an incredibly long and dangerous leap of logic to follow. It could have been co-workers or "friends" or even devious high-schoolers with elaborate plans to fool unsuspecting and gullible individuals as a night of romping fun.

Please, if anyone can enlighten me as to the answers to any of the preceding questions to a level deemed acceptable by me, I would be most grateful. Because as it is, I'm just completely confused when I hear grown adults talk about such things.

3 comments:

Brandi said...

No answers here. I just concur that ghosts and ghost movies in particular are freaky! Hate them.

Toni Dee! said...

I'm sure my answers wouldn't be deemed acceptable, but I think the concept of ghosts is ridiculous.

I guess the concept that "ghosts" would have consciousness comes from the fact that many of us believe the Spirit our Soul is the source of consciousness and not the brain. That means that even after the body dies - the intelligence continues.

J Wilson said...

I think most people who sit down and think about the concepts of ghosts realize that it is ridiculous, regardless of which side of the religious fence they might be on. The problem is that a lot of people don't give themselves time to sit down and think about it.

They hear a news report about someone seeing Michael Jackson's Ghost, or about "Ghost Hunters" picking up strange "phenomena" and instead of putting on their thinking caps, they turn into sheeple and follow the communal crowd's beliefs (or at least the beliefs that are presented to them, professing to be those of the communal crowd).