
I heard this man's story and found it so compelling that I wanted to learn more about him.
He was an African-American in Massachusets in the 1800s who participated in some very important things such as the underground railroad and worldwide societies to help combat racism, slavery, and segregation--over a hundred years before Martin Luther King Jr.
He was ordained an Elder by Joseph Smith's brother William Smith around 1843, just months before Joseph was killed, and spent the next several years enriching the lives of the church members in Massachusets.
The thing that makes the story so compelling is that his life reads like a Shakespearean tradgedy. This awesome character that has done so much good in his life is led through a series of events that tear your heart out of your chest (figuratively of course). As I was learning about him, my heart went out to him, even though he lived so many years before. I wished I could somehow ease his troubles.
If you're intrigued, I recommend doing some research. Between the church and other sources, there should be enough to help you appreciate this man's story as much as I have come to.
3 comments:
I haven't even heard of this man until now--thanks for introducing me. I'll look into his story.
I am with Jami, how have I never heard this name? I will have to look into it.
Neat story!
Post a Comment