So I was watching Ava out of the corner of my eye as s
he expressed interest in her diaper bag. I could see the cogs working as she reached inside to pull things out.
And then she got to the diapers. She pulled, and out came a diaper. She examined it, then reached in to see if she could find another. There was another diaper, which she pulled out. She observed it, and compared it to the previous diaper she pulled out. They appeared to be the same. I could almost hear the thoughts she would have expressed if she had the convenience of verbal thought expression: "I wonder if that happens every time?" She pulled out a couple more, each time examining them to make sure they weren't different. She would flip the diapers over and look at the differences from front to back.

Then she proceeded to systematically and oh-so-scientifically pull out and observe everything else in the diaper bag. In short, she created kind of a mess.
And it makes me giddy to think about it. She's just starting to experience this world, and already she's doing it right, even though she doesn't realize the implications of her unofficial scientific method :)
Below is a webcomic from the venerable xkcd that illustrates the point:

4 comments:
HA! That's awesome! If anyone is wondering where this girls mama was during all of this mess making- she was being spoiled and taking a nap in the other room. Had no idea what happened until she saw this post. :)
I wonder where she gets this scientific mind??? When she can express her self verbally I'm sure she'll ask "why is the sky blue? why is the grass green? where is my Grandma?" Smart girl!!
Too cute! Gotta start 'em young!
I think the coolest thing I've been able to observe about Ava is that they come "pre-started" that way. They're already hard-wired to be little scientists in their own way.
It's the subsequent years of childhood and people telling them "because I said so" that turns them away from it.
Post a Comment