Friday, January 9, 2009

I'm repenting Aunt Danna :)

I was recently talking to Aunt Danna and she told me that she would like to see more pictures from right after Ava was born and that got me to thinking that maybe I should share my thoughts on those moments. Jer's post was so great that I didn't even think about making my own at the time. So I will be brave and share a few pictures and give you some of my thoughts.



I look a little bit pitiful in this picture (which was taken just a little bit after Ava was born), but I honestly don't think I realized that I looked that way. I guess I'm somewhat naive or I just didn't want to think about the whole process but whenever I heard people say 'I was in labor for 12 hours' or 'I was in labor for 5 hours' I kinda thought they meant pushing. I know I'm a little bit dumb. So after three hours of good, hard pushing when my doctor started getting an interesting look on his face, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Luckily we got things figured out without having to do a c-section (I'm sorry Niki!), but as you can see. . . I was quite tired.



I know all of you mothers out there know this, but wow that rush of emotion when she was born was amazing! I felt this overwhelming sense of relief, like I had been missing her my whole life and didn't feel it until that moment. Plus I could breath again so that was really great. :) I'm so thankful for the privilege to be Ava's Mom. And I'm thankful for a wonderful husband who is also a wonderful Daddy. I'm sure I could go on but I'm quite sure I would start crying here at my computer so for now I'm calling it good. :)


2 comments:

Jami said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings and perspective about the birth. I've never heard anyone describe having a child like you did, and it touched me so much when you said it felt like you had missed her your whole life and didn't feel it until that moment of holding her. That's beautiful writing (probably because it's truth).

Whew--glad the labor pains and hospital visits are over with, right?

By the way, I didn't plan on commenting on every single post, . . .but I can't help it :)

Niki said...

I am so glad you didn't have to have a c-section. Actually you guys sort of saved my life. After reading Jer's post John and I talked about how he might have to be the one who says enough is enough to the doctor since I won't have the guts. Sure enough it came to that and I was so thankful that Jer had posted about telling the doctor it was time to be finished. 3 hours of pushing is LONG! You are a champ!