Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Favorite Inventions

A little while ago I asked Jer a question that he took much more seriously than I did. That happens a lot. I asked him what he thought the best inventions ever were. I'm pretty sure I worded it somewhat like that. From my "list" I realize that I can be quite random, but that's just me I guess. Some of these may not seem like inventions, but I say they count as such. I'll try to remember my list as I told it to Jer, but I may have to add things later.

*Candy- I like candy much more than I should. (Therefore I say it counts as an invention.)
*The Britta Water Pitcher- Thank you Brandi and Darla!
*Tin foil- Seriously good stuff tin foil. Makes clean up so much easier to just line the pan with it to begin with. Love it.
*Cell Phones
*Toilet Paper
*Digital Cameras
*Photoshop
*Books- This one is completely obvious right. I probably wouldn't have it on my list except I met someone recently would told me he has never read a book on his own, by his own choice. This is completely disturbing to me.
*Diapers- Yep, I'm a Mommy.
*Girly Products- How did women live without them really. Horrible!
*Heating Pads- Oh so cozy . . .
*Excedrin Migraine
*Hair Straighteners!
*The Swiffer
*Computers and the Internet!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Well, now I am totally curious as to what Jer's list was! Although I can already see where this is going! haha

Love you guys!!

J Wilson said...

Yeah, as Michelle said: I took the question a little more seriously than she did. She originally limited it to the top ten inventions of all time, and so I strained my thinker to come up with an appropriate list:

1) Language: Yes, language is an invention, and it is probably the most important invention in allowing humans to progress to everything else we have attained.

2) Sharp Tools: These allowed us to hunt animals, cut skin and hides into leather, create spears and eventually swords to allow us to defend ourselves against animals and mal-intentioned humans.

3) Fire: This allowed humans to cook meat and intake more protein without getting sick from parasites, etc. It also allowed humans to process metal ore into metal products such as Iron, Bronze, and eventually steel.

4) Shelter/Clothing: This allowed humans to survive in conditions where we otherwise wouldn't have been able to (from igloos to cabins, from island huts to arctic resorts).

5) Running Water/Sanitation Services: Running water allowed humans to keep ourselves clean, and to keep excrement and the accompanying bacteria and parasites away from the rest of our lives. This increased life-spans dramatically.

6) Medication (especially anti biotics)& Vaccinations: This allowed us to be able to survive otherwise deadly sicknesses and diseases. And the Vaccinations allowed us to completely skip over some of the more lethal and deadly ones all-together.

7) Written communication (including the printing press): This allowed humans to communicate ideas and knowledge not only to their immediate children, with whom they had to have direct vocal contact, but also with their great-great-great-great grandchildren, and potentially on and on for thousands of years. Without written communication, humans never would have been able to progress to the point that we have.

8) Democratic Republics: Allowing the people to decide how they will be ruled has been one of the best inventions ever. Without it, we would still be dwindling under the feudal system or some Monarchy--even if we had a good king, we could always be just one accident or disease away from having a real dud of a king to mess up everything good in our lives.

9) Arts: Music, Dance, Fictional Literature, etc.: This is important because it has allowed humans to communicate ideas to one another that would otherwise be too difficult or too emotionally heavy to conveniently communicate.

10) The Scientific Method: In truth, this is probably the number one MOST important invention. It is through the scientific method that we can have a critical and effective way of looking at the world, observing what makes things the way they are, and figuring out ways to influence them in our favor. The scientific method made all of the previous "inventions" possible in one way or another, regardless if the inventors were aware of it or not. As long as there are humans with curiosity and ambition to find out truth, the scientific method will not be long separated from us.

Obviously next would be certain things such as Electricity, Computation, Indoor heating, Vehicles, etc. But I couldn't in good conscience give any of them a place above any in my top ten.

Darla said...

I love you deep thinkers!! I am also thankful for all of the inventions you mentioned. We are so blessed!!

J Wilson said...

Yes, our lives have definitely been blessed by the ingenuity of those who have come before us. It also illustrates the importance of using our own ingenuity to bless the lives of those who come after us--leaving the place better than we found it, so to speak.